Huawei E5186 is a Cat6 LTE modem router and the popularity has got up thanks to the rise of Unlimited 4G Internet plans in Malaysia. However, updating the firmware of the Huawei E5186 is not exactly easy. Most Huawei E5186 come with a really old firmware and it is known to cause a lot of issues. Here’s an article to help you on how you can update the firmware on the E5186.
- Windows computer
- Huawei Multicast Update Tool
- Winrar installed (required by Multicast Upgrade Tool)
Setting a Static IP for your Ethernet port
You will need to configure the Ethernet interface of your computer to use a static IP in order for the router to be connected. How to configure the Ethernet Properties is different depending on the version of OS you are having. You can refer to my screenshot below. Remember to configure your computer to obtain an IP automatically once you are done with flashing your router.
Flash a new Firmware for Huawei E5186
There are many methods available to flash firmware to Huawei E5186. I included 2 of them here. I always use the advanced method as the basic method never work for me. The chronology is really simple, put your router into firmware update mode and flash it using the Huawei Multicast Upgrade Tool and wait for at least 7 passes. I separated them into segments below.
Putting the router into firmware update mode.
- Turn off your router
- Plug your computer to LAN 1 of the router-
- Hold WIFI and WPS button while turn on the router
- When the WIFI LED blink once, quickly release the WIFI button. Release the WPS button after 1 second you release the WIFI button.
- Router should be in firmware update mode.
Flashing a firmware to the router (basic flashing)
1. Change your Ethernet adapter into static IP
2. Run Huawei Multicast Update Tool, it may require you to set the path to Winrar.exe
3. Select your network card, tick force upgrade and select the firmware
4. Put your router into firmware update mode
5. Click start
6. Wait for 6-7 passes for a success flash
7. Turn off your router and exit Multicast Upgrade Tool.
8. Check if the firmware version is changed.
Flashing a firmware (advanced flashing)
It is basically the same as basic flashing but you will flash a really old firmware first before proceed to flash the desired firmware you want.
WARN: May brick your router
- Change your Ethernet adapter into static IP
- Put your router into firmware update mode
- Flash 21.281.99.80.00 with multicast upgrade tool. Use the guide in the section above.
- Stop and Quit Multicast Update Tool after 6-7 passes
- Turn off your router
- Run multicast update tool, tick force upgrade, select the firmware you want to upgrade
- Click start
- Turn on the router and see if Multicast Upgrade Tool is sending firmware to E5186. Just turn it on directly, don’t enter firmware update mode.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes. Multicast Upgrade Tool should be sending files to the router. The colour of the MODE LED will change from time to time.
- Wait for the MODE LED to turn Green
- If the LED turns green, firmware flash is successful. Restart your router.
- Remember to change back the static IP
- Check if the router have the firmware version you flashed
- Reset the router is recommended
Your screenshot all gone. Can it be fixed??
Fixing it soon
could anyone tell me where to find firmwares i cant find them.
is it possible to put open wrt on this router?
You can’t use OpenWRT here.